
The Statue of Liberty closed to the public Monday due to the COVID-19 outbreak/NPS file
Statue of Liberty National Monument closed Monday due to the coronavirus outbreak that's been expanding in parts of the United States.
In a brief news release park staff said the temporary closure of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island was supported by New York City officials and the park’s partner, the Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation.
"The health and safety of people working at and entering Liberty and Ellis Islands is our No. 1 priority. The park is working with the NPS Office of Public Health, U.S. Public Health Service, and state and local authorities to closely monitor the outbreak of respiratory illness caused by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19)," the release said. "A reopening date has not been determined at this time. We will notify the public when we reopen these sites and provide updates on our website and social media feeds.
"We urge our visitors to do their part when visiting a park and to follow CDC guidance to prevent the spread of infectious diseases by maintaining a safe distance between yourself and other groups; washing your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth; covering your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze, and most importantly, staying home if you feel sick."
The monument is one of the more popular locations in the National Park System, drawing 4.2 million visitors last year.
Add comment